Propel RC is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.

Drone Part 107 vs Recreational Rules: Details with Difference

By: Propel RC
Updated On: September 17, 2021

Flying a drone has become more of a hobby than a profession, as the drones get cheaper every day. You can now buy a drone for less than $100. The professional drone flyers always want to get more and more freedom while flying for different reasons; this is where the debate about Part 107 vs Recreational flying comes in to picture.

There are many restrictions to recreational drones, but Part 107 license owners can fly any kind of Unmanned Aerial Vehicle over 400ft high, and the distance away from the operator can be up to 5 miles. Part 107 license owner can also fly in restricted airspace without prior permission.

The only exception is Washington D.C. area. Part 107 license owner can also fly UAS from a mini quadcopter to a fixed-wing plane. Flying Recreational drones don't have many restrictions, except that the operators cannot fly into controlled airspace or within 5 miles of an airport without prior permission.

Part 107 vs Recreational Rules

Recreational flyers are limited to 400ft above ground, and they can only fly with a line of sight. "There are many similarities between Part 107 and recreational drone regulations, but Part 107 licensees also have the ability to fly outside of the visual line of sight (BVLOS)."

Also Read: What is Headless Mode on a Drone?

What is a Drone Part 107 License?

Part 107 license is a certification from the FAA. Part 107 gives you a remote pilot certificate or RPIC. It allows an individual to fly a drone for commercial use without going through the full Part 61 certification process. Part 107 is the most common and popular method for flying a drone nowadays.

Part 107 vs Recreational

Part 61 is still an option, but Part 107 is definitely more common and popular. Part 61 is a much longer and more expensive process, so Part 107 definitely has a higher appeal. Part 107 requires a knowledge test, which can be taken from an authorized testing facility or an online course.

Part 107 tests drone flying as well as the rules of airspace and how to read FAA maps. Part 107 license certification can be obtained in much less time than Part 61 certification. Part 107 is for unaided visual flight conditions, so no First Person View or FPV.

Part 107 also requires line-of-sight operations. Part 107 is used only daily and lower than 400 ft above ground level (AGL). Part 61 can be used at night and higher than 400 ft AGL. Part 107 requires a commercial drone that weighs less than 55 pounds. Part 61 does not have this weight requirement, but the chance of running into other aircraft increases with altitude and Part 107 is no different.

Part 61 provides more freedom for flight conditions while Part 107 limits it, making Part 107 more attractive to beginners and Part 61 more attractive to those with drone piloting experience. Part 107 allows the use of a drone for commercial purposes instead of Part 61, which does not allow this and is much harder to obtain Part 61 certification.

What can a 107 license owner do?

Part 107 license owners are allowed to fly for both recreational and commercial use, but they must follow the same rules as recreational flyers except they can also fly beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS). This means that 107 license holders can fly drones over areas where there is no one present or not under their control.

For example, a hobbyist can fly their drone over farms to inspect the crops as long as they have permission from the farmer. Part 107 license holders can also fly at night and more than one person controlling one drone at a time.

Part 107 license owners are allowed to fly drones for commercial use. This means that they can operate drones for business purposes, but only if they follow the rules laid out in part 107. All pilots must be aware of the rules and regulations of flying under Part 107 or as a recreational flyer.

Rules to Fly a Drone Under Part 107 License

Part 107 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 allows Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS), more commonly known as drones, to be flown for non-recreational purposes (commercial use) within the U.S. The legal definition of an unmanned aircraft is an aircraft without a human onboard which is powered by some form of propulsion.

  • To fly commercially, you need to have a Remote Pilot Certificate.
  • On the FAA's FAADroneZone website, you must register your UAV.
  • You cannot fly your drone above 400ft, even after getting a 107 license.
  • The maximum speed of your drone should be within 100mph.
  • If you want to fly your drone at night or evening, your drone must have anti-collision lights.
  • You cannot fly a drone while in a moving vehicle unless you drive on an empty road or other space.

What is allowed in Recreational Drone flying?

Not everyone wants to get a license to fly a drone; these people can fly drones for just recreational purposes because, for professional use, you will have to get a license. Recreational flying covers more than sufficient space and grants to enjoy the art of flying without boundaries.

Part 107 vs Recreational

The rules for recreational flying are not that much different than the commercial ones, but it is good to be in the know of everything before you start crashing into trees and people's heads just because you didn't know better.

Without a Part 107 or Part 61 license, you can fly your drone within visual line of sight, below 400ft altitude and at least 5 miles away from an airport which might have a Part 107 requirement. Also, for recreational purposes, you can fly during daylight hours only.

Recreational operators do not need to take a Part 107 exam. As a recreational flyer, you do not need to share your part 107 license with the FAA. If you want to fly your drone for basic photography or videography, you do not need any license because you come under the recreational category.

As long as your drone is less than 55lbs, your downlink has a range of no more than 0.5 miles, and you have to keep your drone in your line of sight.

Rules for Recreational Drone Flying

Recreational flyers are allowed to fly drones for fun, but only within the line of sight without any blocks between them and the drone. This includes not being able to fly over people or at night, which can be unsafe due to low light conditions. Also, recreational flyers cannot fly over an area that is not under their control unless they have permission from that person or organization.

  • The main rule to operate a drone without any drone flying license is "do not endanger anyone's life."
  • It would be best if you stayed out of the way of crewed aircraft and always flew below 400 feet to avoid aviation operations such as helicopters.
  • Part 101 requires that you not operate a drone in an airport area without air traffic control permission.
  • You must see where the drone is going with your naked eyes to be considered legal.
  • You are not permitted to fly in the proximity of other planes.
  • If your drone or UAV weighs more than 0.55 pounds, it must be registered with the FAA on the FAA Drone Zone website.
  • You can only fly in Class G airspace, but if you're within five miles of an airport, you must notify the air traffic control tower.
  • It's also illegal to fly over emergency rescue operations.

As mentioned above, there are many restrictions on recreational drone flying, but these restrictions will only hurt you if you want to fly your drone commercially. Otherwise, these rules shouldn't be any problem for you.

Difference between Part 107 vs Recreational Rules

There is a vast difference between flying a recreational drone and flying a drone registered under the Part 107 license. The freedom you get with these licenses is just beyond imagination. Part 107 will give you the freedom to fly drones professionally.

Part 107 vs Recreational

Part 107 license allows pilots to fly their drones without any limitations under clear regulations. Part 107 is issued by the FAA, and every licensed pilot has to follow these rules.

The basic difference between recreational flying and flying with Part 107 is that you do not have to think about the drone's speed, position, or location up to an extent when you are flying for recreational purposes.

Part 107 allows pilots to fly drones in areas close to the airports, but Part 107 licensee has to manage their own safety measures to not collide with any aircraft or other drones.

You do not need to pass any test to fly a recreational drone, whereas you must pass the knowledge test to get the Part 107 license. The knowledge test for the license is not much difficult but proves to be an expensive deal if you are not using the drone for business purposes.

You need to register your drone for both types of use. Even if you are not planning to use the drone for business purposes, you will have to register the drone on the official website of the FAA.

The government is trying its best to keep a sharp eye on the commercial and personal use of drones. Almost all the drones are to be registered with government websites.

You can fly the drone in the complete Class G air space without restrictions and permissions from the community if you have the Part 107 license.

In contrast, you need to follow the community guidelines if you fly your drone for recreational purposes. The length of the flight will also be subjective to the community guidelines. Part 107 will give you the freedom to fly your drone legally.


There is no doubt that recreational drone flying has its own joy and excitement. To fly a drone without any limitations can be an amazing feeling, but you have to consider some government restrictions while flying a recreational drone.

It's best to fly a drone with your camera on it if you want to experience the world from above. If you wish to fly your commercial drones in restricted areas, the Part 107 license is for you. You will need a certificate of authorization (COA) or a remote pilot airman certificate (RPAC) if you do not have a Part 107 license.

Hobbyists can operate UAS under part 101 rules as long as they follow some basic guidelines such as staying away from airports and flying under 400 feet. There is very little difference between flying a recreational drone and operating under part 101.

Still, one of the major differences is that you will need to complete additional research before deciding your flight path when using part 101 rules.

To conclude, it is completely up to you to get or not to get a drone flying license. We have covered almost everything there is to know about Part 107 vs Recreational rules to fly a drone.

magnifiercross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram